Warning: session_start(): open(/var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php72/sess_7e8f1713f35c122ef7e20809d9de0f9c, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /home/kengriff/public_html/include/starter.php on line 2

Warning: session_start(): Failed to read session data: files (path: /var/cpanel/php/sessions/ea-php72) in /home/kengriff/public_html/include/starter.php on line 2
Carbon Monoxide Safety | Gas Leaks | Ken Griffin Plumbing Services Inc.
WE KNOW HOW WATER WORKS and we know how to make it work better!
Home > Gas Piping > Carbon Monoxide Safety

Carbon Monoxide Safety

  • Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas produced by incomplete combustion and poor ventilation.

  • Your gas appliances may be leaking carbon monoxide if you notice stuffy or smelly air, high humidity or condensation forming on your window, or see soot from fireplaces or furnaces. 

  • People suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning experience headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, weakness and loss of muscle control. If they don't leave the area and get fresh air, they can loose consciousness and suffer permanent brain damage. Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to death.

  • Have gas water heaters, chimneys, and heating systems, checked each year by a qualified contractor.

  • Never operate a gasoline engine, barbecue grill, or similar engine or heat source in a confined area.  Never use a gas stove for anything except cooking.

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors that meet UL standard #2034 requirements above the furnace, outside of the bedrooms, in an area with a fireplace, and in an attached garage, just to name a few.

  • Floods can damage the internal safety devices in the gas controls of appliances.  Contact us immediately after a flood to replace any appliance gas controls that have gotten wet.

  • Gas ranges produce a blue burner flame when the unit is completing the combustion cycle.  If the flame is yellow, air inlets could be clogged or the burners could need to be adjusted, and could produce carbon monoxide. The only exception is gas fireplaces which usually have a yellow flame.

  • Lining the bottom of an oven with aluminum foil can restrict air circulation and cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Don't store things too close to gas appliances and keep those areas of the room clear to allow for proper air flow.  Never store combustible materials in the area of gas appliances.

  • Always follow the manufacturer's information for the use and care of all gas equipment and appliances.

Top Areas / Zip Codes we service:

Ellicott City, MD: 21042, 21043
Columbia, MD: 21044, 21045, 21046
Clarksville, MD: 21029
Sykesville, MD: 21784
Dayton, MD: 21036
Fulton, MD: 20759
Olney, MD: 20830


Visa MasterCart AmericanExpress Discover