- At least 23% of the total energy used in the United States is natural gas. It costs less than electricity and propane gas. Gas appliances may cost more initially, but last longer, are cheaper to operate and require very little maintenance.
- It is the cleanest of all of the fossil fuels, releasing very little amounts of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and more carbon dioxide and water vapor- the same compounds we exhale when we breathe.
- Propane gas has the smallest greenhouse gas footprint of any of the fossil fuels. It is produced domestically leaving about 10% imported from Canada. More than 60 million people use propane gas in their homes.
- A gas water heater can heat more than two times as much water in an hour as the same capacity electric heater.
- Gas fireplaces and stoves produce less pollutant laden smoke, operate safer because there are no smoldering ashes or sparks flying and the flame can be extinguished immediately when the gas supply is turned off. They provide more heat than a typical wood burning fireplace which can loose as much as 90% of the heat it generates through the chimney.